6 – 12 months old
“Just essentials” guide
The second semester of your baby’s existence is one of the most important milestones of his/her life. As a parent, your job is to make sure that you are doing your best to provide all of your baby’s needs.
Though these are the months when your baby will have the first taste of independence, it’s also a time for him/her to get upset by separation. As working parents, this can be a bit challenging, so it’s very important to spend quality time with your baby during these months.
It’s important to know what’s happening to your baby during these months so you can help him/her in building confidence and sense of security as he/she learns every day.
- During these months, your baby will start to experiment. His/her most basic form of logic is through trial and error. Your baby will love getting a reaction to something they have done.
- Since his/her short term memory isn’t developed yet, your baby loves the surprise of novelty.
- Your baby will try and get your attention by making different types of noises.
Physical and Motor Development:
- Your baby’s weight will be about 3x his/her birth weight and will also be about 50% taller.
- Your baby’s first teeth will appear during this stage.
- The development of big muscles help in supporting your baby as he/she learns to sit, stand, and even walk.
- During this stage, balance is still very unstable.
- Your baby will start learning how to sit up and support his/her own body. Therefore, his/her hands will be free to be used in play activities.
- Your baby will start to develop his/her arm muscles and learn basic hand to eye coordination.
- Your baby will gain physical strength and movement control by adapting to his/her current environment.
- Normally, babies start to crawl at this age, which helps in developing postural control and strengthening gross motor skills.
- In around 7 – 11 months, your baby will learn thumb apposition. This is where your baby’s thumb can touch or face another finger. Because of this, your baby will also learn to do some pincer movements.
Social and Emotional Development:
- Your baby will enjoy observing facial expressions and looking in mirrors.
- At this age, your baby will also be able to adjust his/her crying depending to his/her needs.
- During this stage, your baby will start to be more aware of the people around him/her. Smiling will be his/her way to socialize and he/she will love seeing your reaction to encourage him/her to do it again.
- Anxiety around strangers is a normal response during this stage.
- Your baby will also show signs of distress when separated from you or from their comfort zone.
- This is also the stage where your baby will sometimes refuse food or insist feeding himself/herself.
- Most of the communications during this stage is non-verbal
- Some babies may start talking through babbling at this stage. Thus, your response to your baby’s babbling will give positive reinforcement.
- Your baby will be able to understand simple commands like “give me” or “sit down.”
Now that we understand your baby’s development, it’s essential for us parents to know what’s best for our babies during this stage. That’s why, we listed the top three things (for each of the categories below) that you should consider for your 6 to 12 month old baby.
Your baby’s vision and hearing are both improved during these months. Babies at this age love seeing and hearing the same thing over and over again. While reading these books below, encourage your baby to look at the pictures and touch them:
Good Night Moon
By Margaret Wise Brown
“Good Night Moon” is one of the most popular bedtime stories of all time. It’s about a little bunny talking to the moon.
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See
By Bill Martin, Jr.
This children’s book is simple and easy to read. Since your baby is starting to develop his/her cognitive skills, reading the same book over and over again helps in becoming
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
By Eric Carle
This classic children’s book is one of the most known and well-rated of all times. It is about a newly hatched caterpillar and his journey. He ate a lot of food and went to sleep as a cocoon and woke up as a beautiful butterfly.
These books are very easy to find and are often found at a local library.
It is essential to pick the right kinds of toys for your growing child. For children 6 to 12 months old, here are the top three toys that will help in their growth and development.
STUFFED TOYS & DOLLS
Wingingkids Soothing Slumbers Bedtime Stuffed Animal
During this stage, your baby is starting to be attached to objects and people. Often times, you will see your baby hugging his/her doll and choosing it over his/her other toys. These stuffed toys give your baby comfort.
Kiddopotamus King of the Shape Sorters Toy
Stacking toys will help your baby in developing his/her motor and cognitive skills. Posting shapes through slots is so much fun at this age. Your baby will start to realize the difference between “gone” and “hidden.”
Name of specific toy
Get your baby a plastic or fabric set of building blocks to ensure his/her safety. The more colors, the better. This toy will help in your baby’s motor and cognitive development.
These toys can be easily bought on Amazon.
Babies grow up very fast. Buy bigger baby clothes so that your baby can still wear them when they grow bigger. You also have to take the season in consideration when shopping for baby clothes.
One Piece Suits
Threadrock Unisex Baby
From newborn to their toddler years, one piece suits remain to be one of the most important piece of clothing for babies. Onesies allow your baby to move freely.
Shirts and Shorts
Carters Baby Girl Sets
During this stage, it’s very important to make sure that your baby can move his/her body freely. Since babies at this age discover the world through their movements, it’s important for them to move around comfortably.
Little Pharo Body Suit
Let’s not forget to bundle up our little ones.
In choosing your baby’s clothing, it’s important to make sure that you get breathable fabric that won’t harm your baby’s sensitive and gentle skin.
These activities with your baby will help them improve their motor, cognitive, social, and emotional development.
Since your baby is learning the concept of what’s been hidden and what’s been gone, peek-a-boo is just the perfect game to play with him/her.
To do this, you will need a blanket and some small toys.
Place a toy under a blanket. While showing off a part of the toy under the blanker, ask your baby to look for the toy. Babies will usually grab and dig under the blanket. Keep doing it and increase the level of difficulty after a short period of time.
During this stage, your baby will also learn how to clap. Encourage this activity by clapping with your baby.
Let your baby explore his/her creativity through finger painting.
Inside a ziplock bag, put in some washable, non-toxic finger paint. Make sure that you will seal it tightly. Add duct tape to keep it secured. Then, spread the paint around to coat the inside of the bag. Place it on the floor and allow your baby to explore it.
Doing these activities regularly with your babies will help in building trust and other core values.
Feeding your baby with the right food for their age is important in their growth development.
Breast milk is still best for your babies up to 2 years old. If you’re a breastfeeding mom, you can still feed your baby with your breast milk during this stage.
Your baby’s first few teeth will start to show this stage. Therefore, you should also start giving your baby some solid food. Make sure that you will give them nutritious and delicious fruits. Slice them in smaller bits or mash them so your baby can ingest them easily.
You can give your baby some mashed veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and more during this stage.
Be creative in preparing your baby’s food. Encourage eating healthy while they’re still young.
These gears are a must-have for your 6 to
Abiee Beyond Wooden High Chair
Since your baby is starting to learn how to sit during this stage, it’s best to use a high chair when feeding him or her. Not only that, this gear can also be used when playing and doing some activities with your little one.
Snuggy Bunny Deluxe Bouncer
Getting your baby a bouncer is great during this age as he or she is just learning how to sit. This gear supports your baby’s neck and back, providing safety and comfort.
This bouncer is geared with toys that can be easily accessed by your baby. It also has soothing music that helps in calming your baby and promotes a sense of security.
Graco Pack and Play
Playards are perfect for 6
These gears are all easy to find in any department store. We suggested these specific brands that are known for producing safe, comfortable, and secured baby gears and products.
Quick Guide to Recommended 6 – 12 month old items: