Murphy Bed Paint Project

Here is the story behind this Murphy Bed.  I knew I wanted a murphy bed in my bedroom even though, I had plenty of space for a traditional standard bed.  The main reason was because I wanted the ability to transform the room into another use if I needed it in the future.  For example, if I decided that I would like more of a studio/work space during the day, I could easily transform the bedroom into this during the day if I had a murphy bed that I could flip up.  Beds take so much real estate in a room and we don’t normally use it during the day at all.  Why are we giving up all that space?  Exactly!  This is why I will always opt for a murphy bed – even if I live in a mansion! :).

The murphy bed itself was a great choice and I don’t regret it.  It has a regular mattress on it and is as comfortable as a traditional bedframe.  Win win!  The one thing I regretted in making this choice is getting it unfinished!  In an attempt to save money, I decided not to get any finishings on it and make it a DIY paint project.  A great idea right? Well, not so great it turned out for me (until now!)

When I first received the murphy bed, I was due to deliver my first child within the week.  I frantically tried to get two different painters to paint the murphy bed (since I was not in the best shape to be painting).  BOTH PAINTERS told me that it would look horrible if it were painted and that I should look for a different option.  All other options I looked into were far more expensive and once my baby was born, it was not a priority.  That being said, everytime I went to bed, I would see the unfinished brown mdf board staring back and me and kick myself for trying to save a few bucks.

Fast forward over 1 year later!  Still on my mind and bugging me, I asked Alan, the carpenter making my built in what he thought.  He told me “Paint it!”  There is no reason why it shouldn’t take paint.  Apply a coat of primer, sand it .. apply another coat, sand it and then paint it.

Here we are over one year later and I was back to my original plan! So, there is no time like the present, no more regrets, no more looking at this unfinished murphy bed – “just do it!!” .. and that is exactly what I did.

This project took me a total of 1.5 days (not even working the full day).  Cost me $23 – for primer and an extra paint brush.  I used leftover paint & supplies I had from painting the apartment.  That’s it! Over a year of humming and complaining about this unfinished project and it took me less than 2 days and $23!!  It’s things like this where I realize we almost always spend more time thinking about how we would like to or need to do something then it takes to just do it.  So next time you think about that task or project that needs to get done make a plan to just do it! You will feel so much better afterwards!!

Below is a timelapse and FB live feeds of painting the murphy bed.  Enjoy!

Cheers,

Jasmine

Timelapse …

A quick timelapse from this DIY paint job!

Facebook Live …

I documented the process on Facebook Live – Watch it here.

Before/In Progress/After

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This